Friday, 28 February 2014

Something so small can mean so much.


I love being at University. I love living in a city and being a part of so many different activities and opportunities. It is so different from my home town in the countryside, where as I was growing up I had to rely on my dad to get me anywhere or be able to do anything.

Don't get me wrong, it was never an issue, and he was always happy to take me to my friends house or drop me in town for a shopping trip with the girls, but I think everyone can relate to that feeling of desperation and craving for independence, and for me university was my ticket to freedom. 

Although having everything on my doorstep is perfect, and I am constantly surrounded by friends it is natural to miss home every now and then. I do not know how they do it, but they always seem to be able to know when I am homesick, (even when I haven't rang them in a while, oops) and they send me a little something to cheer me up.

That little something can mean so much!
Whether it is a card from my aunty with a little joke inside to make me laugh, or a hand-drawn picture from my little sister to make me smile. That little something reminds me that they are always there, no matter what and that they are proud of me. 

My mum always seems to go that extra mile. She loves painting, especially using water colours and recently sent me this beautiful card...


Every aspect of it she did herself and I think they are lovely! She has never had lessons and just does it as a hobby in her spare time.
When you are sent something that someone has put time and effort into, it makes that something mean so much more.
So thank you mum. 


Are you guys sent anything whilst/if you are away from home?

Love Em.

6 comments:

  1. aww youre mom is very talented :) i only see a few people who still paints / makes DIY cards to give out to their love ones. you have a lovely family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you! I certainly think so :) Yeah i know, it's so rare, but I love making and receiving them! x

      Delete
  2. aw these are so lovely! i still live at home and get the bus to uni because i'm so close - but i know that it's little things like this that remind you that you're being thought of! :)
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) yeah, they can really make the difference :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow these are lovely! So sweet that she has made the effort to send something so sweet like this :) I can't wait until I go to uni, although I am a little nervous! Thank you for following me by the way :) Lucy x

    http://justlittlelucy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) aww don't be nervous! You will have an amazing time, going to uni was one of the best decisions I made! x

      Delete