Friday, 11 July 2014

"Where to, miss?" "To the stars..."

I have to admit, I have had an obsession with the Titanic ever since I was little.



I can remember sliding the tape into the VCR player and just spending all afternoon watching Rose and Jack fall in love over and over again.
I may or may not have learnt all of Rose's lines... Ok, maybe I did (that's how cool I was).

But I wasn't just obsessed with the film, I was also intrigued by the real story.
I would research the real passengers and what happened to them on my dad's laptop.
So when I was kindly invited to Ireland and asked by my Mr if there was anything I would like to do, I leapt at the chance to go to Belfast and visit the Titanic museum. 



The exhibition takes you on a journey through the stages of the Titanic and begins by informing you of what Belfast was like when the decision to build the Titanic was made. 


We also had an audio guide that gave us little snippets of extra information.
Which I thoroughly enjoyed. 


You also learn about specific people that were involved in the various stages.
For a few of these individuals you were able to follow their story until the very end, but I will tell you more about that later.



The exhibition was very interactive and even included rides, which I think is perfect for children as it makes it far more exciting. 
Which was great for me as I am a big child really.

One of the things that did fascinate me the most was the Marconigram.
This is the machine that the boat used to send messages via radio.
I had always thought that when the ship was sinking they were using the morse code SOS to send for help...


But in fact, the message they were sending was CQD and it was one of the first distress signals adopted for radio use. 


The exhibition was so interactive that you were even able to practice sending the distress signal yourself!



The exhibition is beautiful and provided me with so much information that I didn't know, even after all my years of researching.
I loved it, but my favourite bit had to be towards the end. 


You got to view examples of what the rooms would have been like in each class.
This was first class...



It looked so beautiful and elegant, a vast difference to the lower classes.


Whilst walking around the exhibition it was easy to forget how many people lost their lives on the Titanic and seeing this menu really brought that home...


It turns out that this was the menu for first class the night that the Titanic sank.
For many people who lost their lives, this was their last meal.

It turns out that one of the first class passengers on arrival to America opened their bag and found it amongst their possessions.

Amongst the vast amount of objects, there were even handwritten letters sent home from people who were on the boat.
For this family, this was the last they ever heard of their loved one.


I was even able to see some of the last messages that were sent via radio asking desperately for someone to come and help.



This sign shows that the Titanic was not even able to finish the distress call...


For the individuals that we had followed throughout the tour many of them were simply reduced to this...

Or not even found at all.


After getting rather emotional we headed down the stairs to discover the final stage of the exhibition. 
The discovery of the Titanic.



This section was so excellent that I will leave you to go and find out for yourself (I don't want to give too much away now do I?).
And if I am telling the truth, it was mainly video footage that I wasn't allowed to film or take photos of.

At the end of the tour we headed outside for some fresh air and a bite to eat.






If you are heading to Northern Island promise me you will go it is honestly brilliant.
Are you as fascinated as me by the Titanic?
Or have you been and did you enjoy it?

here is a link to the website, just incase you would like to book tickets or find more information
www.titanicbelfast.com 

Love Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment