Monday, 9 February 2015

Climbing to the top.

Today was Empire State day...


 Whilst planning our trip to New York, I had mentioned to my dad that I would love to climb the Empire State Building. 
My dad agreed that it was amazing, yet he said that he had also heard that the view from the Rockefeller Centre was better. So we weren't quite sure what to do.

Once we had arrived in New York, and I was wandering wide-eyed around Macy's, we started talking to one of the lovely gentlemen who worked there. He agreed that the views from the Rockefeller Centre were arguably slightly better, because of the fact that you could view the Empire State, but he said that for a first-timer to New York, the Empire State is a must.

So off to the Empire State we went...


Now before I get into the post on the amazing views, and yes as usual I have far too many photos (but I can just never choose the best ones...), I have one piece of advice to give you all.
Ignore the people who approach you!

As me and dad walked towards the building we had many different men approach us offering us cheaper tickets to go up the Empire State, they argued that once you had queued and finally got up there you would realise how expensive it was and regret buying the ticket of them. 
Admittedly, me and dad did debate buying our ticket from them for quite a while, until dad finally said 'stuff it, let's just go up and pay when we get there.'
We are SO glad we did.

Once we got to the woman ready to pay the very expensive price the man on the street had told us, it turns out that it was actually the other way round. 
The man on the street was more expensive than the actual ticket price.

I remember after paying my dad turning to me and saying 'I feel sorry for all those people that fell for the trick,' so I am just ensuring that those people are not you guys! 



Now, I'm not going to show you a load of pictures of the tour, as some of the information they give you is really quite fascinating, and is part of the whole experience. 
I wouldn't want to spoil it for you now would I?


But I really enjoyed reading all the snippets of information that is placed all the way round until you reach the lift...


The lift takes you all the way up to floor eighty, where you walk round to the next lift, learning more and more about the history of the building as you go.



Taller than the Eiffel Tower, I didn't realise until then.
Once you pass the final wall of information, that's when the butterflies begin, as you realise just how high you are. 
But that all goes once you step out onto the observation deck and the view simply blows you away.



The view was simply breathtaking, and I spent a while simply admiring it before I even thought about taking pictures. 

Sometimes I need to remember to do that, just sit back and enjoy a moment, without trying to capture it on my camera.


But after a while I got stuck in and absolutely loved taking photos of such beautiful surroundings.


The tall building in the distance that you can see is the new World Trade Centre, which is near to where our hotel was.
The whole clump of buildings is Manhattan. 


The Flat Iron building is the triangle one in the left of the photo above. 
I had picked up a remote tour guide, which pointed out all these landmarks to me, as well as giving me information on them.

I definitely recommend you pick one up. 
They are free after all, and me and dad absolutely loved them!


See, he wouldn't even take his headphones off for the photo...




The large patch of green poking through the buildings is Central Park, and I have to admit, I didn't realise just how big it was until I had a birds-eye view of it. 


My dad and I just loved walking round and listening to all the information available about New York.


After a while, the wind picked up and we decided it was time to climb back down.

We decided to spend the rest of the day visiting Grand Central Station and simply exploring.
It was on our way to the station that we stumbled across this building...

Now, for any Sex and the City fans this building is extremely memorable, but it's also famous...

The New York Public Library.


I love watching Sex and the City and even loved the movies, (which I have to admit, I wasn't expecting.)
So when I passed this iconic library, I had to visit the setting of that crucial scene in the first film in person.


It felt like I was about to see her come running down the steps.
But unfortunately she never did.

We continued wandering, until we finally stumbled upon Grand Central Station...



I was amazed at how beautiful the building was, both inside and out.
I know you see it in nearly every film that is filmed in New York, but seeing it in person is slightly surreal. 



The station was just beautiful, and we spent a while just admiring it and exploring.
We even tried the whisper corner and it works!

(basically you both stand in opposite corners and whisper into the wall. Due to the arch of the wall you can hear each other talk like you were stood next to each other. Amazing right??)

Then we found the food hall. 
I have never seen a train station with such a fantastic food hall, all the food looked so delicious!



After such a long day exploring we headed back to the hotel exhausted and ready for some food!
Again we just went to somewhere local and tucked in before sipping on some cocktails and heading back to the hotel to finally rest our feet. 
Ready for the final day in the big apple...

No comments:

Post a Comment